Evaluation World

Foreign Credential Evaluation Service

Archive for the ‘Credential Evaluation’ Category

Universities in the United States are now accepting applicants from India with 3-year bachelor degrees for admission to graduate programs provided they fulfill the following two conditions:

  1. The degrees have been awarded by an institution accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with a grade of “A” or better.
  2. The applicant must have graduated in Division I (above 60%) or Division 2 (above 50%)

A number of Master’s programs in the United States admit candidates with a 3-year degree from India.

Wright State University according to their new Graduate School policy have started accepting MBA applicants with three-year Indian bachelor’s degrees with Division I and II from colleges accredited by NAAC with a grade of “A” or better.

New Jersey Institute of Technology is welcoming 3-Year bachelor degree applicants to their Master of Science programs in the scientific, engineering or technical fields.

University of New Haven accepts Indian students with 3-year Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Business Administration degrees provided they have graduated in 1st or 2nd division from a NAAC accredited “A” or “A+” grade university.

University of Bridgeport is evaluating 3-year Indian bachelor degrees from universities accredited by the NAAC with a “A” grade or higher as equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree, provided they have graduated in Division I or Division II.

If you hold a 3-year Indian degree and are interested in getting it evaluated for admission to a Master’s program in the United States, please click here to apply for a credential evaluation. We recommend a comprehensive Course-by-Course Evaluation Report.

For employment, immigration and education in the United States of America you would need the services of a foreign credential evaluation agency which would provide you with an evaluation report that states the US equivalence of your foreign education.

International students seeking admission to colleges or universities in the US are advised to get their transcripts evaluated. A course-by-course evaluation, in addition to the US equivalence of your education, lists the subjects completed in terms of US credit hours and grades with the Grade Point Average (GPA). This enables the college or university to understand what you have studied and determine your eligibility for admission to their degree programs. It also helps them in granting transfer credits for courses already completed so that the student does not have to repeat a course unnecessarily.

To settle down in the United States you would require a visa issued by the by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Most visa applicants need a formal credential evaluation stating the US equivalence of your diploma or degree, information of the degree granting institution including its accreditation status and the duration of studies. For employment and immigration a document evaluation should suffice as credit hours and grades are not required generally. You could also opt for an education and work experience evaluation to add up to a bachelor’s degree if you have an incomplete degree or add to a bachelor’s degree to result in a master’s degree equivalence as per USCIS norms.

The easiest way to look for an agency is to search the internet. A search for a term like “foreign credential evaluation” on Google would throw up a list of agencies providing this service. One of the most important things to look for while choosing a credential evaluation agency is the turnaround time. A slight delay could cost you a semester or your job. Comparing the evaluation fees charged by different companies would show you for instance that while some companies charge you regular fees for a 72-hour service, others may provide you the same turnaround time by charging an astronomical fee for a rush job. You would also be well advised to ask them how long they keep your records to facilitate copies that may be required in future. Several agencies have made the evaluation process very simple by allowing you to order online by submitting an online application and transmitting your documents via file uploads, e-mail or fax. A few of them email or fax the electronic copy of the credential evaluation report for review prior to shipping the hard copy.

Credential evaluation agencies are independent private entities. There is no governmental body that grants approval to agencies that offer credential evaluation services. The agency or their evaluators are generally members of one or more of professional associations like NAFSA (NAFSA: Association of International Educators), AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers), EAIE (European Association of International Education), AEA (American Evaluation Association), AMIDEAST (America-Mideast Educational and Training Services, Inc.) and AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators) to name a few.

As of January 04, 2010, USCIS has received following no. of applications:
  • Advance degree cap of 20,000 has been reached.

Cases filed for those with advanced U.S. degrees are counted against the regular cap.

  • Regular cap count – 55,800; Regular cap limit – 65,000
As can be seen from above the H-1 B cap quota is close to being exhausted. The persons who want to apply in this year’s quota can start the processing now. Click here for a foreign credential evaluation for the H-1B Visa.

A credential evaluation of your foreign bachelor’s degree from a foreign credential evaluation service like Evaluation World LLC is required for admission to a master’s degree program in a college or university, immigration or employment in the United States. The following are some of the Diplomas and Certificates from foreign countries that can be evaluated as the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in the United States. The list is not exhaustive and there could be other qualifications in these countries that are also equivalent to the US bachelor’s degree.

Afghanistan: Bachelor, Leicanc (Bachelor, Licence)
Albania: Diplômë / Bakelorë (Diploma, Bachelor)
Algeria: Licence, Diplôme d’Etudes Superieures/DES (Higher Studies Diploma), Diplôme d’ingéniorat / d’ingénieur d’état / de l’Institut (Dipl.Ing.) (Diploma of Engineer, State / Institute Diploma of Engineer)
Angola: Licenciado (Lic.) (Licentiate)
Argentina: Bachiller / Bachillerato universitario (Bachelor), Licenciado (Lic) (Licentiate)
Armenia: Bakalavri Kochum, Specialist Diploma
Australia: Bachelor degree (4 year or Honours), Master’s Qualifying Year (MQY) following a 3 year Bachelor’s degree
Austria: Bakkalaureus (Bachelor)
Azerbaijan: Bakalavr
Bahamas: Bachelor degree awarded by the University of the West Indies
Bahrain: Bachelor degree
Bangladesh: Bachelor degree (4 year program or more), Master of Arts/Science/Commerce
Belarus: Baklavar, Specialist Diploma, Diplom o Vyshem Obrazovanii
Belgium: Candidature, Baccalaureate, Licence, Diplôme d’ Etudes Supérieures Spécialisées
Benin: Diplôme universitaire d’études littéraires/scientifiques, Diplôme d’études supérieures (DES) (Diploma of Advanced Studies)
Bhutan: Post Graduate Diploma
Bolivia: Licenciatura/Licenciado (Lic.) (Licence), Titulo profesional (Professional Title)
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Diploma Visokog Obrazovanja
Botswana: Bachelor degree
Brazil: Bacharel / Bacharelado, Licenciado / Licenciatura (Bach., Lic.)(Bachelor’s / Licenciate)
Brunei: Bachelor degree
Bulgaria: Bakalavr
Burkina Faso: Diplôme d’études universitaires générales (DEUG) (Diploma of GeneralUniversity Studies), Licence (Lic.) (Licence)
Burma (Myanmar): Bachelor degree (4 year or Honours)
Burundi: Diplôme (Dipl.) (Diploma), Licence (Lic.) (Licence)
Cambodia: Bachelor degree, Licence
Cameroon: Licence, Bachelor degree following GCE Advanced Levels
Carribean Countries: Caribbean Examinations Council Secondary Education Certificate (CxC)/ GCE “O” Levels
Central African Republic: Diplôme supérieur de gestion (DSG) (Higher Diploma of Management), Licence (Lic) (Licence), Diplôme d’ingénieur (DiplIng) (Diploma of Engineer)
Chad: Licence (Lic) (Licence)
Chile: Licenciado/Licenciatura (Lic.) (Licence), Titulo profesional (Professional Title)
China, People’s Republic of: Bachelor degree, (Dip) (Diploma of Graduation)
Colombia: Licenciado / Licenciatura (Lic) (Licenciate)
Congo, Democratic Republic of the: Licence (Lic) (Licence), Diplôme d’études supérieures (DES) (Diploma of Higher Studies)
Costa Rica: Bachiller / Bachillerato universitario (BachU) (UniversityBachelor / Baccalaureate), Licenciado / Licenciatura (Lic) (Licenciate), Titulo de (Title of)
Croatia: Diploma diplomaskog studija
Cuba: Licenciado / Doctorado (Lic/Doc) (Licenciate), Diplomado / Titulo profesional (Dip, Tit) (Diplomate/Professional Title)
Cyprus: Bachelor’s Degree
Czech Republic: Bakalar (Bachelor), Inženýr (Engineer)
Denmark: Candidatus Degree
Dominican Republic: Licenciado / Licenciatura (Lic) (Licentiate), Ingeniero (Ing) (Engineer)
Ecuador: Licenciado (Lic) (Licentiate), Titulo profesional (Professional Title), Ingeniero (Ing) (Engineer)
Egypt: Bakalourious (Bachelor)
Estonia: Bakalaureusekraad, Bachelor Degree
Ethiopia: Bachelor Degree
Fiji: Bachelor Degree
Finland: Kandidaatti/Kandidat
France: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate), Certificat / Diplôme de fin d’études (Cert, Dip) (Certificate / Diploma of Competed Studies)
Gabon: Licence ès lettres (LL) (Licentiate in Letters), Diplôme d’ingénieur (DI, DiplIng) (Diploma of Engineer)
Ghana: West African School Certificate/ GCE “O” Levels
Guinea: Baccalauréat
Georgia: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Germany: Bakkalaureus (Bachelor)
Ghana: Bachelor Degree
Greece: Bachelor Degree, Ptychion (4 year program)
Guatemala: Baccalaureus (Baccalaureate), Licenciado (Lic) (Licentiate)
Honduras: Bachiller universitario (University Bachelor), Licenciatura (Lic) (Licentiate), Titulo de (Title of)
Hong Kong: Bachelor Degree
Hungary: Egyetemi Oklevél (Ok) (University Diploma),
Iceland: Kandidatsprof/Candidatus, Bachelor degree
India: Bachelor Degree (4 year program) or 3 year Bachelor Degree plus 1 year Post Graduate Diploma (PGDIP)
Indonesia: Sarjana
Iran: Karshenasi / Lesans (Licentiate), Bachelor Degree
Iraq: Bachelor Degree
Ireland: Bachelor Degree
Israel: Boger ravuach universita (Bachelor Degree)
Italy: Laurea
Ivory Coast: Licence / Licence es lettres (Lic / LL) (Licentiate / Licentiate in Letters)
Japan: Gakushi Shogo (Bachelor’s Degree)
Jordan: Bachelor Degree
Kazakstan: Bakalavr (Bachelor), Diplom Specialista (Specialist Diploma)
Kenya: Bachelor Degree
Korea: Haksa (Bachelor)
Kyrgyzstan: Bakalavr (Bachelor), Diplom Specialista (Specialist Diploma)
Laos: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate)
Latvia: Bakalaurs (Bachelor)
Lebanon: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate), Bachelor Degree
Lesotho: Bachelor Degree
Liberia: Bachelor Degree
Libya: Bachelor Degree
Lithuania: Bakalaurs (Bachelor)
Macedonia: Bachelor/Diplomiran
Madagascar: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate), Diplôme d’ingénieur
Malawi: Bachelor Degree
Malaysia: Bacelor / Sarjana Muda (Bachelor)
Mali: Diplôme de l’école normale supérieure (DENS) (Diploma of the HigherNormal School) , Diplôme d’ingénieur des sciences appliquées (DISA/DI) (Diploma ofEngineer of Applied Sciences)
Malta: Bachelor Degree
Mauritius: Bachelor Degree
Mexico: Licenciado (4 year), Titulo (4 year)
Moldova: Diplom inzhiner (DI) (Engineer’s Diploma)
Mongolia: Diploma of Specialist, Bachelor Degree
Morocco: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate)
Mozambique: Licenciatura (Lic) (Licentiate)
Namibia: Bachelor Degree
Nepal: Bachelor Degree (4 year program), Master Degree following a 2 or 3 year bachelor Degree
Netherlands: Baccalaureus (Baccalaureate), Ingenieur (Ing), Getuigschrift Hoger Beroepsonderwijs (HBO – 4 year program)
New Zealand: Bachelor Degree
Nicaragua: Licencia / Licenciado / Licenciatura ( (Licentiate), Arquitecto (Architect), Ingeniero (Ing) (Engineer)
Niger: Licence ès … (Lic) (Licentiate in …)
Nigeria: Bachelor Degree
Norway: Adjunkt (Accountant), Arkitekt (Architect), Candidatus magisterii (Cand.mag.) (Candidate Master), Sykepleierske (Nurse)
Oman : Bachelor Degree
Pakistan : Bachelor degree (4 years or 3 years + 1 year of Honours), Bachelor of Engineering, Master’s degree (2 years following a 2 or 3 year bachelor degree).
Panama: Licenciado (Lic) (Licenciate), Titulo profesional (Professional Title), Tecnologia (Technologist)
Papua New Guinea: Bachelor Degree
Paraguay: Licenciado (Lic) (Licenciate), Ingeniero (Ing)
Peru: Bachiller académico, Licenciado (Lic) (Licentiate), Titulo profesional (Professional Title)
Philippines: Bachelor Degree
Poland: Magister (Mag) (Master)
Portugal: Licenciado (Lic) (Licentiate)
Qatar: Bachelor Degree
Romania: Diploma de Licenta/Diploma de Inginer (minimum of 4 years)
Russian Federation: Bakalavr, Specialist Diploma
Rwanda: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate), Diplôme d’ingénieur / Ingéniorat (DipIng, Ing) (Engineer)
Saudi Arabia: Bachelor Degree
Senegal: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate), Diplôme d’ingénieur (DipIng) (Diploma of Engineer)
Sierra Leone: Bachelor Degree
Singapore: Bachelor Degree
Slovak Republic:Bakalar, Magister (Mag) (Master)
Slovenia: Diplomirani (Qualification/Graduate)
Solomon Islands: Bachelor Degree
Somalia: Bachelor Degree, Laurea
South Africa: Baccalaureus (Baccalaureate) (Bachelor), Higher Diploma, National Higher Diploma
South Korea: Senior High School Diploma
Spain: Licenciado (L, Lic) (Licentiate), Arquitecto (Arq) (Architect), Ingeniero (Ing) (Engineer)
Sri Lanka: Bachelor Degree, Higher National Diploma (HND)
Sudan: Bachelor Degree, Advanced Diploma (AdvDip)
Swaziland: Bachelor Degree
Sweden: Magisterexamen, Yrkesexamen (professional exam) awarded after a minimum of 160 credit points (4 years)
Switzerland: Lizentiat, Licence, Bachelor Degree (4 year program)
Syria: Bachelor Degree
Taiwan: Bachelor Degree
Tajikistan: Bakalavr, Diploma of Specialist
Tanzania: Bachelor Degree
Thailand: Bachelor Degree
Togo: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate)
Tunisia: Licence (Lic) (Licentiate)
Turkey: Lisans Diplomasi / Bachelor (Licentiate Diploma / Bachelor’s Degree)
Turkmenistan: Bakalavr (Bachelor)
Uganda: Bachelor Degree
Ukraine: Dyplom Bakalavra, Dyplom Spetsialista
United Arab Emirates: Bachelor degree, Licentiate
United Kingdom: Bachelor Degree
United Kingdom: Bachelor Degree
US Virgin Islands: Bachillarato Diversificado de Ensenanza Secundaria
Uzbekistan: Bakalavr, Specialist Diploma
Venezuela: Licenciado (Lic) (Licentiate), Ingeniero (Ing) (Engineer)
Vietnam: Cu Nhan / Bang Tôt Nghiêp Dai Hoc Licence (Lic) Bachelor (BA, BS) (Bachelor’s Degree / Licentiate / Diploma of Higher Education Graduate)
Yemen: Bachelor Degree
Zambia: Bachelor Degree
Zimbabwe: Bachelor Degree

Foreign Transcript Evaluation

A course-by-course, foreign transcript evaluation from a credential evaluation agency is required for college or university admission in the United States for course work completed at an institution in a country other than the United States. Foreign education is evaluated by independent private agencies who provide foreign credential evaluation services.

A  foreign transcript evaluation lists the courses the applicant has taken, the level of education, the number of years completed and the specialization in addition to the grades, the semester credit hours and the GPA equivalence in the United States. Course by course education evaluations are primarily used for continuation of education, including high school admission and college or university admission. An accurate and fair evaluation report can play a vital role in deciding your future.

Typically, a foreign transcript evaluation report states the following:

  • Dates of attendance and institution location
  • Profile of the institution and programs (entrance criteria, status of the institution in this country, typical and real length of study)
  • U.S. equivalent of each level of study and credential earned
  • List of courses/ subjects studied, major/ minor or area of concentration
  • US semester credit hours for each course studied based on instruction hours (lectures, laboratory, independent supervised course projects)
  • U.S. letter grades A, B, C, D, F for each course evaluated
  • Overall U.S. Grade Point Average (G.P.A.)

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), certain citizens of Canada and Mexico are eligible to enter the U.S. to work temporarily under non-immigrant TN status.

The following are the requirements to be eligible for the TN Visa:

  • The profession must be on the NAFTA list.
  • The foreign national must possess the necessary education or training for that profession.
  • The proposed position must be classified as a professional position.
  • The foreign national must work for a U.S. employer.

Canadian citizens need not file a petition for employment; they must simply obtain TN status at a port of entry. Unlike Canadian citizens, Mexican applicants must apply at the U.S. consulate in their home country.

Degrees, diplomas, or certificates awarded by an educational institution outside the United States, Canada, or Mexico must be accompanied by an evaluation by a credential evaluation service specializing in evaluating foreign documentation. You can order a credential evaluation for the TN Visa at Evaluation World.

High School Diploma Evaluation

A high school diploma evaluation from a foreign credential evaluation service is required for admission to a college or university in the United States. The following are some of the High School Diplomas and Certificates from foreign countries that can be evaluated as the equivalent of graduation from a high school in the United States. The list is not exhaustive and there could be other qualifications in these countries that are also equivalent to US high school graduation.

Afghanistan: Baccaluria
Albania: Maturity Certificate (Deftese Pjekurie)
Algeria: Baccalauréat de l’Enseignement Secondaire
Andorra: Titulo de Bachillerato (Title of Bachelor)
Angola: Secondary School Leaving Certificate
Argentina: Bachillerato or Bachillerato Especializado
Armenia: Attestat o srednem obriazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Australia: ’12th Year’ Certificate
Austria: Reifeprüfungs/Matura from Gymnasium or Realgymnasium
Azerbaijan: Svidetel’stvo o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Bahamas: Bahamas General Certificate of Secondary Education/ GCE “O” Levels
Bahrain: Secondary School Leaving Certificate
Bangladesh: Higher Secondary School Certificate
Belarus: Svidetel’stvo o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Belgium: Certificat de l’Enseignement Secondaire Supérieur plus the Diplôme d’Aptitude d’Accéder à l’Enseignement Supérieur
Benin: Baccalauréat
Bhutan: Indian School Certificate
Bolivia: Bachiller en Humanidades
Botswana: Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Secondary School Leaving Diploma (Matura)
Brazil: Certificado de Conclusao de Ensino Medio (Certificado de Conclusao de 2 Grau before 1997)
Brunei: Brunei/Cambridge GCE “O” Levels
Bulgaria: Diploma za Zavarsheno Sredno Obrazovanie (Diploma of Completed Education)
Burkina Faso: Baccalauréat
Burma (Myanmar): Basic Education High School Examination/ Matriculation
Burundi: Diplôme des Humanités Complètes
Cambodia: Certificate of Completion/ Baccalauréat
Cameroon: GCE “O” Levels / Baccalauréat
Cape Verde: Curso Complementar do Ensino Secundario
Carribean Countries: Caribbean Examinations Council Secondary Education Certificate (CxC)/ GCE “O” Levels
Central African Republic: Baccalauréat
Chad: Baccalauréat
Chile: Licencia de Educacion Media (Intermediate Education Certificate)
China, People’s Republic of: Senior Middle School Diploma
Columbia: Bachiller
Congo, Democratic Republic of the: Diplome d’Etat d’Etudes Secondaires du Cycle Long
Congo: Baccalauréat
Costa Rica: Diploma de Conclusion de Estudios de Educación Diversificada
Croatia: Svjedocanstvo o Polozenom Zavrsenom Ispitu
Cuba: Bachillerato
Cyprus: Apolytirion of Lykeion / Devlet Lise Diplomasi / Lise Bitirme Diplomasi
Czech Republic: Vysvedceni o Maturitni Zkouska (Maturita)
Denmark: Studentereksamen
Djibouti: Baccalauréat
Dominican Republic: Bachillerato en Cincias y Letras
Ecuador: Bachillerato
Egypt: General Secondary School Certificate (Thanaweya A’ama before 1995)
Estonia: Gümnaasiumi Lõputunnistus
Ethiopia: Ethiopian School Leaving Certificate
Fiji: New Zealand School Certificate or Fiji School Leaving Certificate
Finland: Lukion Paastotodistus
France: Baccalauréat de l’Enseignement du Second Degré / Brevet de Technicien
Gabon: Baccalauréat
Gambia: West African School Certificate/ GCE “O” Levels
Ghana: West African School Certificate/ GCE “O” Levels
Guinea: Baccalauréat
Georgia: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Germany: Abitur / Fachhochschulreife/ Allgemeine Hochschulreife
Ghana: Senior Secondary Certificate (SSCE); or WASC/GCE-O levels and WAHSC/GCE-A levels
Greece: Apolytirion
Guatemala: Bachillerato
Honduras: Bachillerato
Hong Kong: Hong Kong Certificate of Education / GCE “O” Levels
Hungary: Érettségi/Matura
Iceland: Studentsprof
India: All-Indian Senior School Certificate; Higher Secondary School/Intermediate/Pre-University Certificates awarded upon completion of 12 years of study
Indonesia: Sekolah Menengah Atas (SMA) Leaving Certificate
Iran: Certificate of Completion of Secondary Education
Iraq: Sixth-Form Baccalauréat
Ireland: Leaving Certificate
Israel: Bagrut/ Mechina
Italy: Diploma di Superamento Dell’Esame di Stato (Diploma di Maturita before 1997)
Ivory Coast: Baccalauréat
Japan: Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Jordan: General Secondary Education Certificate (Tawjihi)
Kazakstan: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Kyrgyzstan: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Kenya: Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE)
Korea: Academic High School Leaving Certificate
Laos: Baccalauréat
Latvia: Atestats par visparejo videjo izgitibu  (Certificate of General Secondary Education after 12 years of education)
Lebanon: Baccalauréat (2nd Part)
Lesotho: Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Liberia: Senior High School Certificate
Libya: General Secondary School Certificate
Liechtenstein: Matura
Lithuania: Brandos Atestatas after completing secondary school
Luxembourg: Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires
Macedonia: Svidetelstov za polozen zavrsen (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Madagascar: Baccalauréat
Mali: Baccalauréat
Malawi: Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Malta: Matriculation/ Secondary Education Certificate
Marshall Islands: GCE “O” Levels/ Pacific Senior Secondary Certificate
Mauritania: Baccalauréat
Mauritius: Higher School Certificate
Mexico: Bachillerato en Ciencias/Humanidades
Middle East: General Secondary Education Certificate (Tawjihi)
Moldova: Diploma de Absolvire a Invatamintuni Mediu General (Diploma of Completion of General Secondary Education)
Monaco: Baccalauréat
Mongolia: School Leaving Certificate
Montenegro: Svedocanstvo o polozenom zavrsnom (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Morocco: Baccalauréat
Mozambique: Certificado de Habilitacoes Literarias
Namibia: Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Nauru: GCE “O” Levels/ Pacific Senior Secondary Certificate
Nepal: Proficiency Certificate
Netherlands: HAVO / VWO
New Independent States & The Baltic Republics: Certificate of Upper Secondary Education
New Zealand: Sixth Form Certificate
Nicaragua: Bachillerato
Niger: Baccalauréat
Nigeria: Senior School Certificate / West African School Certificate / GCE “O” Levels
Northern Ireland: General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
Norway: Vitnemål Fra den Videregående Skole
Oman : Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Thanawiya amma)
Pakistan : Intermediate Certificate or Higher Secondary Certificate awarded upon completion of 12 years of primary-secondary study
Panama: Bachillerato
Papua New Guinea: Higher School Certificate
Paraguay:     Bachillerato
Peru: Bachiller
Philippines: Complete 12 years of education or two years of study at a recognized institution of higher learning
Poland: Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci / Matura
Portugal: Certificado de Fin de Estudos Secundarias
Qatar: Certificate of General Secondary Education
Romania: Diploma de Bacalaureat
Russian Federation: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Rwanda: Certificat des Humanités
San Marino: Diploma di Maturità
Saudi Arabia: General Secondary Education Certificate (Tawjihiyah)
Scotland: Scottish Certificate of Education Higher Grade
Senegal: Baccalauréat
Serbia: Svedocanstvo o polozenom zavrsnom (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Seychelles: Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Sierra Leone: West African School Certificate / GCE “O” Levels
Singapore: Singapore-Cambridge GCE “O” Levels
Slovak Republic: Maturitnej Skuske / Maturita
Slovenia: Spri evalo o zaklju nem izpitu (Certificate of Final Examinations)
Solomon Islands: GCE “O” Levels/ Secondary School Certificate/ Pacific Senior Secondary Certificate/ Solomon Islands School Certificate
Somalia: Secondary School Leaving Certificate
South Africa: Senior Certificate
South Korea: Senior High School Diploma
Spain: Bachillerato Unificado y Polivalente (BUP)
Sri Lanka: Sri Lankan GCE “O” Levels
Sudan: Sudan Higher Secondary School Certificate
Suriname: HAVO or VWO
Swaziland: Cambridge Overseas School Certificate
Sweden: Avgangsbetyg (Gymnasium)
Switzerland: Maturitatzeugnis/Certificat de Maturite/Baccalaureat/Attestato di Maturita
Syria: Secondary School Leaving Certificate
Taiwan: Graduation Certificate
Tajikistan: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Tanzania: Certificate of Secondary Education
Thailand: Mathayom Suska
Togo: Baccalauréat
Tonga: Tongan School Certificate/ Pacific Senior Secondary Certificate/ Completion Form Six
Tunisia: Baccalauréat
Turkey: Devlet Lise Diplomasi /Lise Bitirme Diplomasi
Turkmenistan: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Uganda: Uganda Certificate of Education
Ukraine: Atestat o protnom ovshchem srednem obrazovani (Certificate of Completed Secondary Education)
United Arab Emirates: Secondary School Certificate (Tawjihiyah)
United Kingdom: GCSE plus GCE “A” levels; SCE plus CSYS
Uruguay: Bachillarato Diversificado de Ensenanza Secundaria
Uzbekistan: Attestat o srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Secondary Education)
Vatican: Diploma de Maturita
Venezuela: Bachillerato
Vietnam: Bang Tot Nghiep Trung Hoc Pho Thong (Upper Secondary School Graduation Certificate)
Yemen: General Secondary Education Certificate (Al Thanawiya)
Zimbabwe: ZIMSEC A’ + O’ levels (COSC/COHSC before November 2002)

The H1B Visa is one of the most sought after temporary non-immigrant visas as it allows foreign workers in “specialty occupations” to enter the U.S. and work in a variety of fields, including Architecture, Engineering, Modeling, Medicine, and Health. The H1B Visa offers a wide range of employment possibilities and is a first step toward permanent immigration. This visa is issued in three-year increments, for a maximum of six years. You can stay in the U.S. for up to six years, after which you are required to leave the U.S. for at least one year before being eligible again.

Applicants must have the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s Degree in their specialty or a license in fields that require licensing, such as teaching or pharmacy. The visa is not self-petitioned, which means you will need an employer to sponsor you. The greatest advantage of bearing this visa is that while you have it, you can apply and wait for a Green Card for permanent residency.

A 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited or recognized university or college is generally considered as equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree. If you have less than 4 years of university study, you can combine the years of your degree/diploma with the years of study completed on a post-baccalaureate diploma, master’s degree or other studies. You can also combine progressive work experience in the field with university study – or use work experience only. Three years of progressive work experience in the field is equivalent to one year of US university study for H1B purposes.  The H1B visa can be obtained purely on experience alone, that is, with no college degree at all. But, you stand a better chance of approval with a degree or at least some college level study.

A credential evaluation showing an equivalency to a US bachelor’s degree is required for the H1B visa unless your education was completed in the US. Credential evaluation reports required by the USCIS for the H1B visa need to only show the equivalency statement of the diplomas/degrees along with brief information on the institution where the studies were completed. Semester credit hours and grades are not required to be shown in the evaluation.

Foreign education is evaluated by independent private agencies who are providing foreign credential evaluation services. There is no governmental body in the United States that approves agencies that offer this service. If you have a degree or diploma from a foreign country it is necessary to have your educational background formally assessed for employment, further education or immigration purposes. A Foreign Credential Evaluation Service like Evaluation World provides this service.

Most foreign credential evaluation agencies offer different types of evaluations. Most employers only require a document evaluation, which simply states the US equivalent of your credential, unless you need to show that you have course work in a certain field or need a certain minimum GPA, you will need a course-by-course evaluation. If you’re using the evaluation for immigration purposes, the type of evaluation you would need would depend on the type of immigration visa you’re applying for. For example, H1B visas require only a document evaluation in most cases. If the degree program is less than four years in duration, then an education and work experience evaluation would be the right option. For education purposes, a course-by-course evaluation (transcript evaluation) is generally preferred, listing each subject completed, credits, grades and the Grade Point Average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.