The H1B Visa is one of the most sought after temporary non-immigrant visas as it allows foreign workers in “specialty occupations” to enter the U.S. and work in a variety of fields, including Architecture, Engineering, Modeling, Medicine, and Health. The H1B Visa offers a wide range of employment possibilities and is a first step toward permanent immigration. This visa is issued in three-year increments, for a maximum of six years. You can stay in the U.S. for up to six years, after which you are required to leave the U.S. for at least one year before being eligible again.

Applicants must have the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s Degree in their specialty or a license in fields that require licensing, such as teaching or pharmacy. The visa is not self-petitioned, which means you will need an employer to sponsor you. The greatest advantage of bearing this visa is that while you have it, you can apply and wait for a Green Card for permanent residency.

A 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited or recognized university or college is generally considered as equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree. If you have less than 4 years of university study, you can combine the years of your degree/diploma with the years of study completed on a post-baccalaureate diploma, master’s degree or other studies. You can also combine progressive work experience in the field with university study – or use work experience only. Three years of progressive work experience in the field is equivalent to one year of US university study for H1B purposes.  The H1B visa can be obtained purely on experience alone, that is, with no college degree at all. But, you stand a better chance of approval with a degree or at least some college level study.

A credential evaluation showing an equivalency to a US bachelor’s degree is required for the H1B visa unless your education was completed in the US. Credential evaluation reports required by the USCIS for the H1B visa need to only show the equivalency statement of the diplomas/degrees along with brief information on the institution where the studies were completed. Semester credit hours and grades are not required to be shown in the evaluation.